- 1 What is the oldest orchestra instrument?
- 2 What was the very first instrument used in music making?
- 3 What was the first classical instrument?
- 4 What instruments were invented in the classical period?
- 5 What is the hardest instrument to play?
- 6 What is the newest instrument?
- 7 What is the most natural instrument?
- 8 Is the drum the oldest instrument?
- 9 What is the oldest instrument in history?
- 10 What are five instrumentalists playing together called?
- 11 What is the most popular instrument?
- 12 What are the 5 basic characteristics of classical music?
- 13 Which instrument is not used by classical musicians?
- 14 What was the most popular musical instrument in the Renaissance?
What is the oldest orchestra instrument?
Flute. The flute is the oldest of all instruments that produce pitched sounds (not just rhythms), and was originally made from wood, stone, clay or hollow reeds like bamboo. Modern flutes are made of silver, gold or platinum; there are generally 2 to 4 flutes in an orchestra.
What was the very first instrument used in music making?
The flutes were made in the Upper Paleolithic age, and are more commonly accepted as being the oldest known musical instruments. Archaeological evidence of musical instruments was discovered in excavations at the Royal Cemetery in the Sumerian city of Ur.
What was the first classical instrument?
Researchers have identified what they say are the oldest-known musical instruments in the world. The flutes, made from bird bone and mammoth ivory, come from a cave in southern Germany which contains early evidence for the occupation of Europe by modern humans – Homo sapiens.
What instruments were invented in the classical period?
The orchestra became standardized. The Classical orchestra came to consist of strings ( first and second violins, violas, violoncellos, and double basses), two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets, two bassoons, two or four horns, two trumpets, and two timpani.
What is the hardest instrument to play?
The violin often tops lists of the most difficult instruments to play. Why is the violin so difficult to play? It’s a small instrument with strings that are played with a bow. To play the violin correctly, you have to hold it in the right position while maintaining good posture.
What is the newest instrument?
The Venova is a cross between a saxophone and a recorder. The name is a portmanteau of the Latin words “ventus” for wind, and “nova” for new. The Venova still retains some of the traditional aspects of its predecessors like the reed mouthpiece and recorder fingering.
What is the most natural instrument?
The human voice is the first and most natural musical instrument, also the most emotional.
Is the drum the oldest instrument?
Drums are the world’s oldest and most ubiquitous musical instruments, and the basic design has remained virtually unchanged for thousands of years. A number of different drums together with cymbals form the basic modern drum kit.
What is the oldest instrument in history?
The discovery pushes back humanity’s musical roots. A vulture-bone flute discovered in a European cave is likely the world’s oldest recognizable musical instrument and pushes back humanity’s musical roots, a new study says.
What are five instrumentalists playing together called?
Quintet —Quintets are five musicians performing together, pieces of music meant to be played by five musicians, or a piece of music that includes five instruments. For example, Schubert’s Piano Quintet in A major is composed of a piano, bass, cello, violin, and viola.
What is the most popular instrument?
What Is the Most Popular Instrument to Play?
- #1 – Piano. It might surprise you to know that 21 million Americans play the piano!
- #2 – Guitar.
- #3 – Violin.
- #4 – Drums.
- #5 – Saxophone.
- #6 – Flute.
- #7 – Cello.
- #8 – Clarinet.
What are the 5 basic characteristics of classical music?
The Classical period
- an emphasis on elegance and balance.
- short well-balanced melodies and clear-cut question and answer phrases.
- mainly simple diatonic harmony.
- mainly homophonic textures (melody plus accompaniment) but with some use of counterpoint (where two or more melodic lines are combined)
- use of contrasting moods.
Which instrument is not used by classical musicians?
Organ – Even though the organ is one of the oldest wind instruments in the world, it is not used too often in classical orchestral works.
What was the most popular musical instrument in the Renaissance?
A relative of the guitar, the lute was the most important instrument for secular music during the Renaissance period.